Do you find yourself sewing often? Do you fix your family’s clothing or are you into quilting? A portable sewing machine has many benefits for the user. You can take and use them anywhere you want to go, due to the size. They are relatively inexpensive compared to the professional quality sewing machines. Some portable sewing machines are of better quality than some of the stationary sewing machines. Some portable sewing machines come with a variety of accessories to make your project easy and fast to complete. You can achieve top-quality results from a portable sewing machine.
This article will discuss a variety of the best portable sewing machines. The pros and cons of these machines and a price range will also be explained. These factors will help you to find the perfect portable sewing machine for you.
Why You Need A Portable Sewing Machine?
- You can save your money by purchasing a portable sewing machine, rather than a professional sewing machine which costs about 10 times more. Some portable sewing machines come with a warranty that ensures your product has a long lifespan.
- You can take a portable sewing machine on the go rather than a large one that is too hard to move. You can use them in much smaller spaces. Some options are handheld and can be used on hanging curtains, bedding, or alterations that are on the person.
- They are easier to use than the bulkier more professional sewing machines. Some of the products listed above come with helpful manuals and videos for a better understanding. They are made to be simple to understand, easy to use, and quick to complete a project.
Top 8 Best Portable Sewing Machine
Best Portable Sewing Machine Reviews
1. Computerized Free-Arm Sewing Machine – Singer Curvy 8763
- Automatic threading system
- High-quality stitches
- Sturdy machine
- Lightweight and small
- The number of stitches isn’t very high
One of the best features of this product is the automatic threading system. Using this product will cut your threading time down extremely by automatically threading the eye of the needle with efficiency on every occasion. There is a drop and sew system in place with this product, which means that it doesn’t require a raised bobbin thread before sewing starts.
Some accessories come with this product such as all-purpose foot, satin stitch foot, blind hem foot, buttonhole foot, a pack of needles, bobbins, thread spool caps, auxiliary spool pin, spool pin felt, darning plate, a screwdriver, seam ripper/lint brush, soft-sided dust cover, and a foot pedal.
This portable sewing machine has 30 built-in stitches. There are other machines with more stitches but, the quality of stitch is better with this one. You can purchase this portable sewing machine for around 200 dollars. Another great benefit of this product is that it is sturdy and will last for many years. It weighs 17 pounds alone and around 22 when shipped.
2. Portable Thread Serger Sewing Machine – JUKI MO654DE
- Has a 2/3/4 thread serger
- A powerful knife system
- Easy to use
- Suitable for beginners
- The price is a little high
This portable sewing machine is a powerhouse for making any project look easy to achieve successful results. It has a 2/3/4 thread serger with an automatic rolled them. There is a colorful threading looper to help you adjust the stitch length and differential feed, externally. There is a powerful knife system that will cut through a variety of fabrics, such as lightweight to heavy-duty.
This machine is easy to use, and it comes pre-threaded to show you the correct way to thread this particular sewing machine. Even though you must thread this machine, it is a simple process that doesn’t take make time or effort to learn. This product makes a beautiful stitch every time you use it. There is a safety switch on this portable sewing machine that will not let the machine operate if the swing cover is open. This product is durable and will last for many years.
3. Best Mini Sewing Machine – MSDADA
- Mini machine
- Easy to repair
- Can work on a variety of fabrics
- Inexpensive option
- It wasn’t made for heavy-duty materials
This portable sewing machine is very small compared to the other portable sewing machines that can weigh around twenty pounds. You can take this mini machine anywhere due to the size. It is great for speedily fixing alterations or repairs. You can even repair your drapes without having to take them down. You can repair bedding materials as well without having to take them off.
This product works on a large variety of fabrics, silk, wool, as well as leather. This machine is simple and easy to use for any level of sewing experience. You can expect to pay around 20 dollars for this mini sewing machine. The convenience alone makes this product well worth the money. It is one of the more inexpensive options for a portable sewing machine.
There is a downfall for this product. The downside of this mini sewing machine is that you can’t use materials that are considered too big or hard. It wasn’t made for heavy-duty materials.
4. Fully Featured Computerized Sewing Machine – Janome JW8100
- Seven automatic buttonhole styles
- Has a memory feature
- Mental frame
- Has a start/stop button
- You can not use it for heavy-duty materials
This is a serious contender for the number of built-in stitches it has. If you like to use many different stitches with your sewing, then the 100 built-in stitches will be a great benefit to you. Seven automatic buttonhole styles will allow you to get creative with your projects. There is a memory feature to ensure you get great results and a start/stop button for added convenience.
This portable sewing machine is sturdy due to the interior metal frame. There is a locking stitch button to make your sewing a little easier. There is an extended side table attached to this sewing machine for your benefit with those intricate projects. You can look to spend around 400 dollars on this item.
5. Brother Portable Sewing Machine For Quilting – CS6000i
- Has a built-in free arm
- Has a built-in wide table extension
- Adjustable stitch speed
- Automatic threading feature
This portable sewing machine comes with 60 built-in stitches to give you a variety. It has a built-in free arm to help you with your sleeves or pant legs. It also has a built-in wide table extension to aid in your quilt projects. There is plenty of space with this machine. One of the best features of this product is the adjustable stitch speed. It will allow you to have more control over your sewing.
There is a maximum stitch speed of 850 stitches per minute with this portable sewing machine. It is easy to use and makes a remarkable looking stitch. Cut your threading time extremely with the automatic threading feature in this product. You can expect to pay around 175 dollars on this portable sewing machine.
6. Eversewn Charlotte Small Sewing Machine For Beginners
- Suitable for beginners
- Has 70 computerized stitches
- Has an automatic threader
- Suitable for many fabrics
- The low number of stitches
This portable sewing machine is great for beginners to experts in sewing. There are 70 computerized stitches installed in this product. There are a start/stop and stitch width switches installed for your convenience. Cut your threading time with the automatic threader in this portable sewing machine. It is easy to use and understand, which makes it perfect for beginners.
And also, as an all-in-one machine, you can also use it for embroidery works. This product can be used on many fabrics to make your sewing projects easy to complete. There are six buttonholes to use with your sewing projects. You can look to spend around 250 dollars when you purchase this sewing machine.
7. Janome Arctic Crystal Easy-to-Use Sewing Machine
- Have a four-step buttonhole feature
- A 3-piece feed dog system
- An adjustable stitch length
- 25-year warranty
- 15 built-in stitches
There is a smaller amount of stitches built in the sewing machine. There are fifteen stitches built-in this portable sewing machine. This product will last for many years to come with the heavy-duty interior metal frame. It is very durable and made to have an extended lifespan. You have a four-step buttonhole feature.
There is a 3-piece feed dog system for added convenience on those more intricate projects. You can utilize the dual retractable spool pins. There are an adjustable stitch length and zigzag width switch for giving you better results. This product comes with tutorial videos for a better understanding as well as a quick start guide to ensure that even a beginner can achieve success. There is a 25-year warranty that comes with this portable sewing machine.
8. Brother Lightweight Sewing Machine – XM2701
- Lightweight and easy to take on the go
- An automatic needle threading system
- A 25-year warranty
- Come with an instructional DVD
- A small number of stitches
This portable sewing machine is lightweight and easy to take on the go. It has 27 built-in stitches for you to use on your sewing projects. Even though the stitch number is low, it still leaves beautiful results.
There is an automatic needle threading system that will make your sewing seem a lot more simple and faster than having to thread the needle yourself. There is a built-in free arm to make your sleeve and pant leg projects more effortless. There is a 25-year warranty on this product with free technical support for the entire lifetime of the product.
This sewing machine is perfect for beginners, and it comes with an instructional DVD as well as a manual for a better understanding. It is one of the most affordable sewing machines with high ratings. You can prepare to spend around 100 dollars or less on this extended life sewing machine.
How To Choose The Best Portable Sewing Machine?
• It is important to stay within your budget. You do not want to have to go without necessities because you need a portable sewing machine. There are plenty of great options that are relatively inexpensive compared to professional machines. Make sure that you can afford the machine and the repairs if needed. Do not worry about price matching quality. There are many great quality sewing machines that do not cost too many dollars.
• Decide what purposes you have for using the portable sewing machine. Are you looking to make or fix quilts, curtains, clothing, or more? You can look at the added features of each machine to see if it has something to make your projects easier. If you do a lot of pant leg alterations, then it is beneficial to look for a portable sewing machine with a built-in free arm. The free arm can be removable or not. If you like to make or repair quilts, then having an extended side table will be beneficial to your plans.
• Read reviews for the portable sewing machine and make sure it is a good quality machine. There is a huge difference in how your results will look, as well as the lifespan of the sewing machine with a good machine. Be sure your sewing machine has a built-in automatic threader if you do not have the experience needed to thread the needle quickly and efficiently.
• A mechanical sewing machine that has the stitches built-in will be easier to use and have less chance of having any errors with stitching than automatic sewing machines. A beginner will benefit better from using a mechanical sewing machine due to the fact it won’t have any errors. The stitches are dependable every time you use this type of sewing machine.
• Be sure that you understand how to operate the sewing machine. Do not purchase a sewing machine that seems too complex to figure out and use easily. You can get discouraged easily if you can not use your sewing machine properly or with ease. You want to try to buy a less complicated system to ensure you will achieve success with your sewing.
• Are there any added accessories that come with the sewing machine for you to benefit from using? Do you need to use those added accessories for your sewing projects? You can purchase accessories separately if it is required to do so.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How to Carry Your Sewing Machine With You?
You can purchase a carrying case for your portable sewing machine. Be sure to raise your needle. You do not want your needle around the bobbin case just in case if you hit a bump while traveling. Do not forget your power cord when packing up your sewing machine. If you are traveling more than around town, then you should pack your portable sewing machine in a box to ensure it will make it to the destination safely. If you are traveling by plane, then you should research the guidelines to be sure you pack it correctly. You can place your portable sewing machine on its side under your seat for flying or landing purposes.
2. Is A Portable Sewing Machine Suitable For New Sewers?
Many portable sewing machines are targeted for new sewers. Portable sewing machines are manufactured to be easy to understand and operate. They will make a beautiful stitch even though they are so simple and easy to use. There are many of these options that are mechanical sewing machines rather than computerized sewing machines. Some have warranties to ensure it will last for many years to come. Portable sewing machines are lightweight and easy to make mobile.
You can use a portable sewing machine anywhere. They still operate wonderfully in the smallest of places. If you live in a small apartment, it will not take up much space. There are options that can be used in one hand and are great for clothing alterations on the fly.
There are many great portable sewing machines that are heavy duty and will last for many years. You can use a variety of fabrics with portable sewing machines. They will give you excellent stitching for affordable prices. Anyone can learn to sew with the extra videos and manuals that beginners can use to work the sewing machine properly.